Visit count since 03/02/98:
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the IPLAN Data System intended
The IPLAN Data Set is a valuable
collection of various health-indicator information
that was previously not available from a single source.
The Data Set was originally designed as a minimally-inclusive
collection assembled to support local health needs
assessments, but has also proven to be valuable to
policy-makers, students, researchers, and the public
for a variety of purposes. For more detailed or additional
data beyond the scope of IPLAN Data Set, users are
referred to the primary sources of the data, as cited
within the Data Set's health indicator
- What is data aggregation?
- Data aggregation is the grouping of
multiple counties, communities or data years together
verses the data item being displayed individually. The
number of events displayed will be the lump sum for
all the counties or communities combined for the year(s)
- Why do asterisks (*) appear on reports?
- Race and age group population estimates
are not available for intercensal years (1991-1999),
therefore a rate for each race cannot be calculated.
- The number of events is too low
to calculate a rate. Depending on the indicator,
the number of events must be greater than a specified
number of events.
- Data is not available for the
- What strategies can I use to reduce
the amount of *s on a report?
- Broaden the geographic area. For
example, aggregate multiple counties.
- Aggregate multiple years so you
can calculate a moving average.
- Broaden the topic
- Where can I find detailed information
for each indicator?
- Every indicator has a description,
profile and a listing of the data years available. All
this information can be looked up at once or separately
on the Indicator
Details page, found in the IPLAN Data System menu.
Also, this page contains an option to list all the indicators
- Can I generate a report that lists
all the indicators at once?
- Yes, however this report is limited
to one county/community and one data year only. This
report is referred to as a County
Summary Report or Community
Summary Report. These options are found in the IPLAN
Data System menu.
- Can I select multiple data years
or multipe counties/communities at once?
- Yes. To do so, press and hold the "Ctrl"
key while you mouse click the selections you want. If
you are selecting consecutive years, you can press and
hold the mouse button and drag the mouse up or down.
Once you have the desired years selected, release the
- What is SHARE intended for?
- SHARE provides access to health plans
submitted to the Illinois Department of Public Health
by local health jurisdictions for all rounds of IPLAN.
Users can select a combination of filters to target
specific data elements, as well as use the search option
using specific terms.
- Is there a listing of examples on
different ways to use SHARE?
- Yes. There is a page named Helpful
Examples found in the SHARE menu. This page lists
many examples of how SHARE can be used.
- Where can I find a listing of training
- Training materials are located on the
Training page, found in the Resources menu. The
training materials listed include presentations made
by IPLAN staff and quick reference manuals on using
the IPLAN Data System and SHARE.
- Where can I find a listing of other
- The Other
Links page lists many web sites of other data resources.
This page is found in the Resources menu.
Health Department Certification Process
- Where can I view the administrative
code for certifying local health departments?
- The Administrative Code for Certifying
Local Health Departments is located on the Illinois
Deparment of Public Health web site. The Resources menu
contains a link to this information, labeled Administrative
Subject Matter Experts